For 18 years, A Kid Again, Southwest Chapter has helped to restore a sense of normal for families thrust into the situation of having to care for a child with a life-threatening illness. Often these families are unprepared and unequipped to deal with what follows. A Kid Again hosts year-round events to support these families and provide them with memories that will last a lifetime.
A Kid Again improves the lives of families with children battling life-threatening illness through Adventures: multiple group outings for the entire family each year to local venues such as the Cincinnati Reds, Cincinnati Zoo, Holiday Party at Matthew 25: Ministries, Kings Island, Newport Aquarium, and Scene75 Entertainment Center. The entire family, including siblings, are always welcome. Ongoing, year-round Adventures mean families always have something to look forward to, and opportunities to connect with other families facing similar challenges. AKA is open to any life-threatening illness.
Since 2015 the Southwest Ohio Chapter, which consists of just 2 incredibly talented staff members, has put on 30 adventures and events for 14,200 family members. Adventures are completely free to all families with a life-threatening illness. They rely on donations for these events and, of course, volunteers (they have about 750+, Colleen included). Our donation of $500 went directly to sending 3 families to the Aquarium adventure in March 2018.
If you would like to help send a family to an adventure, please Text to Give, using the information below. A donation of $165 sends 1 family to an adventure, but any and every amount is appreciated!
- “When we come to gatherings with A Kid Again, she sees that she is not alone in her disabilities.”-Kim Bollinger, AKA Mom
- “The chance to connect with other families who understand the challenges of raising children with life-threatening illnesses is “priceless.”” -Samantha Block, AKA Mom
- “You make us all feel special.” -The Underwood Family
- “I love going to the Holiday Party because I met two new friends there. They have a special sister like me. We played games, made treats, and got to see Santa! I can’t wait for next year’s party!” ” -Connor Myers, 11, A Kid Again Sibling
- 1,000+ Enrolled Families
- 19% families =/< poverty level; 44% =/< $50k annually
- Participate from enrollment – age 20
- 9.6 average years participation